Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Spread The Word To End The Word: March 6th, 2013

Huh? What's that mean?

Allow me to explain. Better yet, I'll just tell you exactly what their website says because I think it explains it perfectly.

"Our campaign asks people to pledge to stop saying the R-word as a starting point toward creating more accepting attitudes and communities for all people.  Language affects attitudes and attitudes affect actions.  Pledge today to use respectful, people-first language." Taken from this site

Personally I have a strong disliking for the "R-word". I think it's highly offensive. What people don't realize is that even though they maybe aren't talking about a person with a mental disability, it can still hurt people. They don't understand how much damage a word can do. It's the same as calling something or someone "gay". While the terms mean two completely different things, they both can hold a lot of negative power. I wish people would understand how much damage their words can do.

Here's a video with the very famous Johnny Knoxville:
I love how he talked about making "The Ringer" changed his life. Eddie makes great points too. There are so many more videos out there and I could post them all day. But the part that really matters is raising awareness for the cause. Pledge to stop using the R-word, get your friends and families involved and make a difference. I love being a part of Best Buddies, it has gotten me to be more comfortable with people with disabilities and taught me that they just want someone to be their friend or "buddy". They don't care about your grades, the clothes you wear or the car you drive. They just want someone to go shopping with or go grab a pizza. My buddy loves both!

This is only my first year in Best Buddies and I have met some many great people! I don't always run around saying "guys I met these awesome people". I truly mean the people I have met are super awesome.  We are even planning to do a mud/foam run this summer! Combing two of my favorite things: friends and running.

My other "buddy" as I call him is a my super sweet 12 year old cousin. Sorry ladies, he has a girlfriend. I know, he is such a stud.

He is just a bundle of energy and can bring a smile to anyone's face. I was lucky enough to live by this guy for about a year and it was awesome. He gives great hugs and makes us all appreciate how lucky we really are.

This posted turned kinda long, but if you can't tell, it's something I'm really passionate about. If you could, please take the few minutes to pledge to end the word. Today is the annual day of awareness, but this shouldn't be limited to a one day event. I encourage you to take the pledge and get other involved.

I hope everyone had a great day and thank you for taking the time to read all of this!

Ashlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment