Sunday, February 10, 2013

Saw it on Pinterest

This so called "Sharpie Mugs" have been all the rage on Pinterest. Some work better than others, but this one I found to be the most helpful. I had made a few with different markers and they faded fast. I just took the writing off with nail polish remover and put the mug aside until I could get better markers.

I like the mugs from the Dollar Store. I'm sad to say that I am there wayyy too often. I just can't help it, everything is a dollar.

After the first round of mugs fading, I knew I needed something different. I talked with someone at Micheal's and they recommended the Sharpie Paint Markers, that are oil based. Guess who had some awesome coupons and saved ten bucks? ME!

I also nabbed some fancy graphite pencil we used in art. I had a few ideas in mind and I want to be able to trace something and have it go onto the mug before taking a marker to it. This worked very nicely after a few attempts.

This mug is a gift for my youth director. It's part joke but she also partly said she wanted an "I heart Honey Boo Boo" mug. I am hoping for a nice finished product to surprise her with!

Here is how I did it: 

I typed up what I wanted and printed it out. This was the easy part.


Cut it down to size so it would go on the mug. Also, very easy.


Take that fancy graphite pencil and trace on the back of the paper. I put it on the window so I could get a nice trace. I also went over it another time to make it dark. 



Why on the back you ask? So when you type it on the mug, the words are the correct way. Any tape works, it just happened I had painters tape handy. And I knew it wouldn't rip the paper.

Why is she tracing the front of the paper? It's to put pressure on the paper and get the tracing you did on the back to go on to the mug.

 After you take the paper off the mug will look like this.

Then just go over it with the paint markers. And don't worry if you make a mistake, it wipes off with a little nail polish remover.
I think it turned out pretty good! I just need to throw it in the oven after waiting for it to dry for at least 24 hours. Based on a few articles I've read, I bake my mugs at 325 degrees for 40 mins. You must put the mug in the oven while it preheats so the mug warms up with the oven. You might need to adjust the time based on how long your oven takes to preheat. Be sure to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't turn yellow, another problem I've read. After 40 or so minutes turn the oven off, but leave the mugs in there to cool. I made the mistake of touching a mug after it cooled down and it smudged it. I touched it up and I will send it back in the oven with this mug here. I can't say for sure if these guys are safe for the dishwasher, but I will try it and let you guys know!

I'm gonna go watch the Grammy Red Carpet for now and later tune into Honey Boo Boo. Enjoy the last few hours of your weekend, friends!

Ashlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment