Sunday, January 27, 2013

Skinny Man

He has been begging me to write about him on here. Looks like you get your wish Skinny Man! 

Needtobreathe Concert #3 together. Seeing them again in May!!

Few things he loves: Apple products (and the late Steve Jobs), bacon, Coke products, making things look and sound pretty (lighting and audio), Switchfoot and How I Met Your Mother. Anything I left out Skinny Man? 

Please don't hurt me for including this picture. I love pictures of my dog :)
Okay so his name isn't really Skinny Man. My family started calling him this last fall. You see, Skinny Man is in fact skinny, thus Skinny Man. It's kinda a funny nickname and we mean no harm by it. Luckily he doesn't mind it too much.

Since I never had a date in high school to dance with at homecoming, I get to make up for it in college right? I think yes. Had a great time 2 years in a row!
It's very effective to yell at the ski slopes because there are a million of guys with his name.  

Skiing last weekend. Safety first my friends!
I'll give you the short handed version of how we started dating. We had gone to church together for a couple years. Basically he might to text the person above me on his contact list. Well, I received the text instead.  Kinda caught me off guard, but I responded and we started to hit it off. I was bored out of my mind up at my grandparents and he was at home. It was a nice way to pass the time. I don't really think either of us knew what would come out of talking for a few days, but we agreed to grab a sandwich and then meet my best friend and her boyfriend at the movies. 

We kept hanging out and talking a lot.  Then came the church mission trip. Everyone thinks that we started dating on the mission trip, false. My brother and him went to the movies together and Skinny Man was nice enough to drive him home. We went to hang out at the park and then he asked me out. Yea yea I know it's cheesy. 

Football game last fall with the rents



Then came August and I was packing up to head off to college, I was ready to go and I had been really looking forward to it, but I was kinda sad to leave Skinny Man for the first time. I didn't know this until after the fact, but he took it way harder than I did. He wanted me to settle into school and not worry about him. Looking back on it, I feel back I knew nothing about it, but at the same time, I'm not sure I would have known how to help him.

Like anything new, we had to learn how to be together without physically being together. Since we didn't have much time together before I left, it was hard to know what being in a relationship was really like. I think it took us some time to get used to it, but we have gotten much better over time with phone calls, texts and usually Skyping before bed. 

Of course I hate leaving him, but I know I am where I need to be to go to school. My focus while I'm away is to get good grades so I can land myself a job after I graduate. He supports me and encourages me to be the best I can be and I make sure I do the same for him. It's nice to have someone always on your side to cheer you on when you are down. My favorite parts about our relationship is that we can have a good time doing just about anything, we know how to make each other laugh and we really have gotten to understand each other.
Group hug!

I have been working on a few projects for him and I can't wait to share them, after he gets them of course.

Hope I did you justice Skinny Man! Spending the rest of the night watching Friday Night Lights and getting organized for the week.

Ashlyn

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment